I would like to further our discussion from earlier in the week about various phrases and idioms that we hear or used to hear when we were kids.
I’ll get this party started as best I can.
For Sneezing, I have heard (and I’m sure there are many more):
- Bless You
- God Bless You
- “Bless us and save us, said Old Mrs. Davis”
When you are hot, or it is hot outside:
- Hotter’n two rats fucking in a wool sock!
- Hotter’n the hubs on a merry-go-round.
- Sweatin’ like a sow
When you are cold, or it is cold outside:
- It’s colder than blue blazes.
- It’s colder than a witches tit out here.
- Colder than a well diggers ass.
If you are nervous:
- I’m as nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs.
- I’m as nervous as a queer at a wiener roast.
And a few more off the wall ones for good measure:
- That’s the best thing since sliced bread.
- You can’t polish a turd.
- You can’t make a silk purse out of a sow’s ear.
- That’d go over like a fart in church.
I find it funny when I hear someone pronounce wash as “worsh”, or water as “whuter”.
I was out with some friends one time, and there was this smokin’ hot girl walking by. Not your everyday pretty girl, this girl was b-e-a-utiful in every since of the word. My buddy calmly said, “I’d drag my balls through a mile of broken glass just to hear her fart over a walkie talkie.” That’s quality my friends, true quality.
So what about you? Tell me what strange phrases and words you love, or hate.
Posted in Other, West Virginia, WVb Stuff by Bucky with 17 comments.